Thursday, June 21, 2007

Kadachakka Chemeen Varutharachathe(Bread Fruit and Prawns)

"Smile is a curve which makes other curves straight" So with that sweet smile again I am coming back to this beautiful world of experts.

Months back I posted this recipe and due to some technical problems, I removed that from my blog.
Here again!


There is a big Bread fruit tree in my house(Kerala) and who ever see this would say "those who have Kadaplave(Bread fruit tree) in their compound will always in debt" .My mother always been scared about that.But my dad is totally different and he never support on such superstition.He loves that tree as it bears lot of good quality breadfruits every year and we used to give that to all our neighbours and relatives ,some times we sell that too.It's really tasty and my mother will make variety of dishes with that.
Here in UAE its very difficult to find fresh bread fruits. So definetly this one is also not fresh!
This varutharacha dish is also one type of theeyal ,but in this curry we never put tamarind.Its mild aroma and delicious taste is world renowed.




Ingredients

bread fruit 1 large peeled and cut into medium sized pieces
prawns 1/4 kg
green chilies 2nos
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
dry red chilies 3nos
coriander 2 tbsp
shallots(small onion) 10 nos
garam masala 1/2 tsp
coconut grated 1 1/2 cup
jaggery a pinch
salt to taste

For seasoning

2 sprigs curry leaves
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
2,3 broken dry chilies
1 tbsp coconut oil

Method

Cook the bread fruit and prawns together with green chilies,salt and a pinch of turmeric till soft.Meanwhile dry roast grated coconut and shallots until coconut turns light brown ,Add little coconut oil, coriander,dry chillies,remaining turmeric powder and garam masala and roast for few more minutes.keep aside to cool and make that into fine paste . Add the coconut paste into cooked bread fruit .Add a pinch of jaggery,mix well and boil for a while .Finally for seasoning..,Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil ,fry mustard seed ,curry leaves and broken dry chilies.Pour over the curry and serve hot.

10 comments:

FH said...

KF,where did you get the breadfruit? YUMMY! I love it,used to eat that a lot in Bantwal.Dish looks great.

Mishmash ! said...

Whether kadachakka tree brings debt or not, I will have one for sure in our property as I love kadachakka thoran and this varutharacha curry...I can have warm rice with this dish alone ...ohh..thought itself is mouthwatering :) Btw, whats that stand...?

Shn

Seena said...

We cook kadachakka varutharacha curry without puli..am craving for this seeing it...yumm!
I would get fresh kadachakkas from sunrise and lulu, did you check there?

Cynthia said...

This is a combo I must think of the next time I feel like having breadfruit.

archana said...

You have got my favorite two in a single curry. Wish i could lay my hands on just one Kadachakka these days. I have looked, looked and looked around to find one. I heard some of the Jamaican stores carry fresh ones. Thank you for the recipe.

Geets said...

wow, i'm salivating at the sight and thought of this curry....thanks for the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

Anonymous said...

Oh I didn't see this! You posted with the old date, so it didn't appear on food blog desam portal. :) Welcome back!

Bharathy said...

Oh my my...except for the rava upma all your posts up are my absolute favourites!
Keep blogging, fairy..:)

Chefkiwiberry said...

Kadachakka in our place, we call Cheema-chakka. Its really mouth watering and goes well with any main dishes.