Sunday, March 4, 2007

Mushroom Masala

Mushroom Masala

Is there any relation between Mushroom and Lightning? Yes, Ancient Egyptians considered mushrooms as the sons of god,sent to earth riding on bolts of thunder.

Hard to believe?!!But I remember , In my childhood days,When there is a lightning the previous night,We all go for mushroom picking early in the morning.Normally it popped up near the compound wall(border).,Neighbourhood kids also join with us. It was really fun for all of us, …All ended up with a spicy mushroom dry fry!!My mom is good at cooking..But she never go for any experiments in kitchen . Mushrooms can add a touch of class and the much-needed variety to everyday meals.

This nutritious fungi is a versatile food item and ideal for today’s contemporary cooking styles. Being low in calories and virtually free of fat and cholesterol, mushrooms are good for health. Mushrooms and potatoes are a good combination, and if it is in cashew paste..Aaahaa..Wounderful!!


Ingredients

250 gms mushrooms,quartered
250 gms boiled potatoes quartered
1 onion medium sized chopped
1 tomato large chopped
1tsp ginger and garlic finely chopped
1tbsp coriander powder
1tbsp chilli powder(depends on your taste)
½ tbsp turmeric powder
½ tbsp garam masala
50 gms cashew paste(substitute with coconut milk)
1tbsp olive oil
salt to taste.


Method

Heat oil in a pan and saute onion,garlic and ginger till golden.
Add tomato and cook for five minutes.
Add coriander,turmeric.chilli and gram masala powders ,saute for 1 minute.
Mix cashew paste,mushroom amd boiled potato.
Add salt and half a cup of water and let it cook by covering with a lid.
Serve with rice or chappathi



18 comments:

Mishmash ! said...

Hey my fairy lady, Liked the new look of ur blog..much more appealing and relaxing to eyes except the font in ur latest post....hmm..enjoyed reading ur childhood mushroom hunt story and recipe sounds interesting too especially with the cashew paste touch :)

Shn

KF said...

Mishmash!Now only I noticed thatthere is difference in font.I lost all my old things while editing HTML..Thank a lot dear..

Sumitha said...

Hi Fairy!thanks for posting a mushroom recipe,I am always on the look out for new ones.And do you know there is a mushroom named after you;)?its called a Fairy Ring fungus,its a beautiful mushroom to watch!

Shilpa said...

Hi Kitchen Fairy, cute story, and a very tempting masala! I made my own mushroom curry some weeks back, and used powdered cinnamon instead of whole, so it was horrible. :)

J said...

Hi Kitchen fairy! That was a nice trivia and write up about the mushrooms. :) The curry looks great too! Only thing is mushroom is a fungus!!;p

Mrs. K said...

I didn't know about that mushroom story until now. That should have been fun. The curry looks great. What kind of mushroom did you use? I assume you used button mushrooms?

Sia said...

ah kitchen fairy... mushroom masala is my fav and it looks so delicious. enjoyed reading ur childhood memories:)

Pravs said...

I like the new look of your blog too. Actually even i used to pick mushrooms after thunder and lighting. The occassions to do that was less, but we used to have fun as kids. And those mushrooms tastes so good...almost like a meat dish, if you make mushroom masala curry of it.What do you say ?

Sharmi said...

Hi Fairy,
Thanks for dropping by my Blog.
Today you are the second friend from UAE to comment on my blog.
Now coming to mushrooms they are one of my favourite. Your recipe looks tempting.

cheers sharmi

KF said...

I googled for Fairy Ring Fungus,Yes really beautiful to watch.Try this mushroom recipe..

Thank You shipa,Instead of Cinnamon powder u put garam masala or pepper powder,it will be tasty.

I know Jyothsna,u are a mushroom hater.But u make this for ur sweetheart..

KF said...

Ur assumption is correct,Button Mushrooms.So U people didn't use that mushrooms.If u didn't pluck the mushrooms morning itself that will become flowers,and we couldn't use that for curry.

Thank You Supriya

KF said...

Yeah that's true Pavs,tastes like a meat ,it is length one and we took the stem also by removing the skin .But this button mushrooms never get that taste.

Yeah, From that friends commentbox,I got ur name.Ummmm Still ur ladu and other sweets are in my mind.I cannot sleep today.

Unknown said...

Hey HF...that was delicious dish using "sons of god".Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Hi Fairy, nice mushroom recipe and a nice story :)

FH said...

Ooh,I like this site!!Dish looks great and I will be back here at leisure.
Greenpeas dishes are in my 'side dishes' at recipe Index,two fab recipes for you try:)

Prema Sundar said...

Picking mushrooms surely must have been fun Fairy.Somehow when i do mushroom curries it doesnt turn out good.. and here is a new recipe with mushroom and Iam going to try this out. thanks for the recipe.

Bong Mom said...

That was realy good, shall try,with the cashew paste

Sig said...

Hey Fairy, my first time here. Great set of recipes you have here.

BTW, did you grow up in my neighborhood? A bunch of us kids used to pick fresh mushrooms and make some stir fries with everything we could find in the kitchen too :D. Good times!