Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baby Potato Fry

Potato Fry Today morning I got a call from my son’s Abacus teacher and inform me that today there is no abacus class. That was good news for me. Actually Thursday evening is only time to sit peacefully in front of computer as Friday and Saturday are holidays for my kids. I decided to use that time to post one recipe, But what to post? I scanned all my memory and got one .This I cooked on my lending time. That time I made lot of experiments on vegetarian items .This one also is the output of such an experiment. The original recipe is from Friday Magazine.

Potato Fry Ingredients

12 baby potatoes, boiled with salt and turmeric powder and peeled
1tsp mustard seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
6 red chilies
2tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp Bengal gram (chana dal)
Curry leaves, a few
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 cup finely chopped onion
1tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 tsp oil

Method

Heat 1 tsp oil in a wok and splutter mustard seeds. Add red chilies, coriander, chana dal, curry leaves and 1 tsp cumin seeds. Stir till chana dal is golden brown. Cool and coarsely grind. Keep aside.
Heat 2 tsp oil and sauté onion till soft and transparent. Add ginger-garlic paste, salt and tomato. Fry on slow heat till tomato is soft and it becomes a smooth mixture. Add ground masala and stir in potato. Gently mix to ensure that the masala coats the potato well. Keep aside for an hour. Heat oil and splutter remaining cumin seeds. Add potato along with the masala and sauté till the potato turns golden(I didn’t wait for that)..Serve hot with chapattis.

16 comments:

Richa said...

hey baby alu fry looks Yum, reminds me of dul alu!

FH said...

Hi KF,beautiful Aloo dum!! Great color and so easy.Thanks,I will try:))

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
ur baby alu looks bright with black background,i will try this weekend.Do visit my blogand give ur comments.

Seena said...

Very nice dish Fairy..will try it and let u know..

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, my mom used to make something similar and I used to love it!! nice pic :)

Suganya said...

O O those looks very nice..Colourful one..Love them...

Aruna said...

Richa, The baby aloos look soo delicious :) Thx

Cynthia said...

The baby potato fry looks really delicious. As Asha said, the photo is beautiful and I love the bowl!

Bharathy said...

Hi Malaghe,
Slower posts from you..Still I love ur blog as the entries are def of higher stds!keep it up!

Adutha janmamo hey eejanmathil thanne pokam...the whole plans worked out in a lower budget for us...but def you have to find time to plan!!
Besides you live abroad..we Indians ..pavangal...inganokke kandengile ulloo:)..

Sia said...

looks very rich and tasty fairy... and love the way u have cooked it. i have bookmarked this recipe and will try it pretty soon:)

Sharmi said...

baby potatoes are lovely to make isn't it? nice looking fry.

Geets said...

Can we try the dish with normal potatoes diced?

Seema Bhat said...

KF,
Oh potato fry looks awesome. So much simillar to Dum aloo but drier version. Bookmarking it to try sometime.

Shivapriya said...

Yum Yum. Dish looks great.I love baby potatoes.

Mansi said...

HI, first time here...

I love this potato fry, looks so inviting! but they are not as pretty as your pen name "Kitchen Fairy" !!:)

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have a great blog,lovely recipes. Feel free to visit my blog too :) Click Here For Food Recipes