Sunday, April 15, 2007

Kappa Puzhukkum Meenum(Boiled Tapioca with Fish Curry)

In my childhood I have fond memories of the time, I spent at my mother’s place.Adimali, which is a small agricultural town in the foothills before Munnar.I loved to spend the vacation with my cousins and Grandmother, whom I lovingly called Amma.I remember that, she was always kind and gentle with her grandchildren but she was very strong willed with her children.

People in that area considered puzhukku as one form of staple food. Kappa (Tapioca) or chakka (Jack fruit) is used to make that. In the harvest season all most all the people there used to preserve it in the dried forms and use that in the rainy season.

So Amma also not different , used to cook puzhukku frequently.She cuts a big banana leaf and serve the puzhukku with Fish or Meat Curry.We grandchildren,ten of us ,all girls used to sit around the big leaf and we really enjoyed the meal.My Grandmother used to feel very satisfied and contented.

All of us are now settled in different parts of world and my Amma is no more..She died of cancer on March 2000.I was there in India but unfortunately I couldn't go to see her as I was carrying my elder son and their place is in a high range area.

Years passed by ,Still her picture is clear there in my mind and I will always cherish her love and caring in my heart,I keep a picture of her in my Bible too…

I am going to share the recipe of that Kappa Puzhukku along with my husband’s favourite fish curry.


Kappa Puzhukke

Ingredients

Tapioca 1kg
salt to taste
grated coconut 1 cup
shallots 5 nos
cumin seed 1/2 tsp
green chilies 4 nos
curry leaf 2 sprigs
turmeric powder 1/4 tsp

Method

Peel both thin brown and thick pink skin and cut tapioca into small piece(discard fibre in the middle ).Double boil tapioca with more water and salt.Drain it completely and mash nicely .Grind coarsely all other ingredients and mix well into mashed tapioca ,Cook in a slow flame for few more minutes.
Serve hot with fishcurry or Meat curry.

Fish Curry

Ingredients

1 kg King fish
1 medium sized onion chopped
1 garlic finely chopped
1 inch ginger finely chopped
3 green chilies chopped
1 tomato chopped
2 sprigs curry leaves
1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
3 pieces Kokum(kudampuli)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp red chili powder
1 cup coconut milk
2tbsp oil

Method

Heat little oil in a small pan ,add 1 sprig curry leaves and red chilli powder and turmeric powder.Saute for few minutes and keep aside.Soak kokum in little warm water.
Heat oil ,add fenugreek seeds,saute a while.Add onion,ginger,garlic , chili and curry leaves.Stir fry to soften the onion.Add tomatoes and fried powders and saute till oil seperates from masala.Add coconut milk,fish,kokum and salt .Remove from heat when the fish is cooked.

19 comments:

Priya Bhaskaran said...

wow kappa and meen..I am drooling here!!

FH said...

Oh!! That was such a touching memories to read! I have heard of Munnar,must be beautiful.Thanks for posting traditional recipes:))

Anonymous said...

wow!!!kappa and meen is heaven. i love it. mouthwatering presentation. do you like white kappa too?

Mishmash ! said...

Makale...ravile thanne ethu venamayirunno..????? ennale oru pure veggie sadya kazhinju my palate is craving for some spicy fish fry and here u re with the royal combo !!!!!!!!!

Mandira said...

tapioca and fish curry, looks like a delicious combination.

Maneka Nirmal said...

adipoli...i was looking for something spicy after the big veggie feast we had for vishu and there u r!! it looks delish..

Sig said...

Fairykutty, you are really killing me with these pictures... I have so much veggy leftovers from yesterday, I don't want to cook, but I am craving some kappa and fish curry after looking at this... :(

Padmaja said...

kappa and fish!! woh!!
i hav emany kerala frens here in uk and i get to taste all these at their places but i never gave it a try u know!!
now as i have these recipes, i think i should start making right

Unknown said...

Hi there, linked to this site from my wife's blog. Really enticing site, but not good to visit close to lunch time :-) And where I am now, it is almost that time ! I am a vegetarian, so cannot vouch for the fish recipe but the kappa recipe looks really good. I shall check out more veggie options later, once I have eaten and full ! Venkat.

Cynthia said...

This is such a touching and appropriate tribute to your Amma. I am sure that she is watching over you and your family and blessing you all.

I love fish curry too - it is my absolute favourite.

Thanks very much for stopping by my blog. I have bookmarked your blog and will be coming back often. It is so good to meet you.

Sharmi said...

Kappa puzhukku kaanaan endhu rasam!! lovely looking dish. cheeks hurting:((

indosungod said...

WoW that is one delicious combination. Looks fantastic.

Unknown said...

kappa puzhukkan is too good I prepare it with garlic chutney....I love it with the meen curry too ....mmm just drooling over your pic :)

Inji Pennu said...

First of all I dont like Kappa and meen.So you dont need to show the picture twice to make me drool, okay kutti? :):):) hehehehe

Anonymous said...

Dear Kitchen Fairy,
Will be trying ur kappa and meen curry this Friday. Also sorry to hear about ur Amma. My bro used to study in Munnar in Tagore MOunt school for 2 years and we had to go via adimali to reach there. While I was reading ur article, it reminded me of those days when I use to travel with my parents to visit my bro. Though the drive was tedious, it was worth it cause of 2 reasons - visiting my bro and also the beauty of Munnar.

Seena said...

Fairy,
this is one of my favourite.Stil remember taste of Kappa and meen that I took from the one of the teashop, while travelling through Idukki..It seems you have the nice recipes of Chrisitan cuisine..

Bharathy said...

Fairy dear...what a wonderful blog you have da...simply nice..wonderful pics...
yaoo kappa puzhukkum meenum..my favourite...I dont make it here as good kappa not available here you see..and no non veg here either..
I want to have some of it(sob)

Amma is near you..don't have the feeling she is no more..she is watching you and is very pleased with your wonderful tribute:)

amna said...

wow! looks awesome!! i am craving for mal food now u know :(

thanks a ton for ur visit and encouraging comment, hope to get better!

Anonymous said...

kaappayum meenkariyum..thalle marakkan pattoolla ketta..orooppi kallude untel sangathi polappanayenem