Saturday, February 24, 2007

Pav Bhaji

Pav Bhaji

Pav Bhaji Mumbai’s street food is popular among Indians.It can set anybody’s taste buds tingling.I tried this Pav Bhaji several times in my house and became one of our favourite dinner items.Moreover it is good choice during lending and also good for our health.

Pav is actually the square shaped soft bun .Plain bread loaves,dinner rolls or bun can be substituted,Bhaji is the vegetable cooked with spice. More about PavBhaji!

Ingredients

Bhaji

Vegetable oil- 2tbsp
Finely chopped capsicum - 1medium size
Finely chopped onion - 3 medium size
Tomato pureed- 2 medium size
Ginger,Garlic Finely chopped- 1tbsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
Potato - 1large
Carrot - 1large
Cauliflower- 1cup
French Beans- 1/2 cup
Green Peas- 1 cup
Chili powder- 1 tsp(For extra hotness add more)
Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
PavBhaji Masala- 3tsp(I used Mother’s recipe)
Sugar- 2tsp(optional)
Salt to taste

To Garnish

Coriander chopped- 1/2 cup
Onion chopped - 1 medium sized
Lemon cut into small pieces- 1
Butter small cubes(optional)

Method

Cook all the vegetables in less water, till well done and mashed them coarsely and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan.saute ginger,garlic till brown.Add onion,capsicum and tomatoes fry until it becomes soft .
Add PavBhaji masala,Chili powder,Turmeric powder,Sugar and salt and fry till brown colour .
Add the mashed vegetables and mix well and allow to stay in low fire for 2-3 minutes.
Add lemon juice and stir well.
Garnish with coriander and butter blocks.

For Pavs

Slit the pavs horizontally leaving one edge attached.
In a pan spread little butter and shallow fry the pav ,do the same on both sides.
Serve hot this buttered pav along with bhaji,chopped onion and lemon pieces.


15 comments:

Pravs said...

I have tasted mumbaiyya pav bhaji. And now i can try to make it with your recipe.

J said...

Kitchen fairy, You are fasting or feasting??!! Just kidding! Pav bhaji is almost like staple food at our place.:) Its hard to resist mumbai street food isn't it?

Mrs. K said...

I haven't tried making this at home yet. But your picture is inviting...I will buy the masala powder next time. Looking forward to seeing more veggie recipes before the lenting ends.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
This is my first visit to ur blog. You have a nice blog.
Pav bhaji is one of my fav fast foods.
Good day!

Mishmash ! said...

We re yet to have our lunch and I am drooling over here looking at ur pic...it looks very tasty and reminds me of one of our gujju friends preparation. The list of ingredients are going into my next week's shopping list :)Thanks for the recipe.

heheh...easter lent...i know how hard it is to resist temptation and thats all I'm talking about in my latest post :))

Shn

KF said...

Pravs,Try this way and let me know how it comes out!

Jyo,Katti with You!!!
I am not fasting,just taking a lent and that's for non vegetarian food.This is a pure vegetarian meal..

Rp Do experiments on Bhaji..Sure I will post more veggies..

KF said...

Bhargavi, Thank you verymuch for visiting my blog.Here also we people enjoyed the taste of pav Bhaji!

KF said...

Mishmash!Kothipikkan oroonu undakke vaikkalle....Pavam onnu geevicchu povatte..Every ---------- has a day ennu kettittille..noyambe kazhiyatte..Kandollaam

Sia said...

i haven't come acoss a person who doen't like pav bhaji:) i had very light breakfast and ur pics are tempting me a lot kitchen fairy:)

J said...

Oh don't be katti with me Kitchen fairy!!:( Its a good idea to take a holiday from non-veg for a while. I'm trying to do that too - no lent for me - but its hard I know.:) Check my blog for some nice veggie recipes, I think I'm mostly veggie.

Bong Mom said...

MMMmmmm pav bhaji, love it. Good that you mentioned the masala brand to use, always at a loss as which is the best

Prema Sundar said...

Pav bhaji is my all time favourite.Picture looks attractive. I also follow the same method for pav bahji..
BTW choclate browny hearts look wonderful and tempting.

Shilpa said...

Wow, the legendary pav bhaji.. is the bread lightly fried also? the greasier the better! :)

Mishmash ! said...

Fairy lady, I am writing this with a full tummy ; I had ur pav bhaji :) It tasted good except that I dint get the same colour , I guess its coz i used a different masala as this one was not available in our store here.Thanks a lot :)

pinne..njan STC '97 -l vittu...evideya MCA cheythe? ennalum STC aanennu engane kandu pidichoonnu paranjillallo!

Unknown said...

hi

this is my first visit to ur blog...picture looks awesome ...pavbhaji is my hus fav food.. will try it soon and let u know the result..