Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Potato Rice

Potato Rice

I heard that this month JFI Ingredient is Potato, I decided to cook something with that and post for JFI event. Since I am first time in this event ,I was so excited and had thought of many dishes like potato masala ,cutlet etc and ended up on Potato Rice.

Potatoes are best known for their carbohydrate content and is a rich source of potassium, iron, and vitamins C, and B1. This is the only vegetable that my kids love to have without any hassle.To include all the vegetables in their diet ,daily I sneak one other vegetable inside the mashed potatoes.Because of this reason potato is so dear to me..

I got original recipe from Friday Magazine .But this particular recipe I did it in a bit more kerala style. After cooking the aroma from the dish made me to change the name to Potato Biriyani !

Here is my recipe for potato rice and an entry for Jhiva for Ingredient –Potato event hosted by Vaishali of Happy Burp.

More Recipes ...
Potato Rice(Paati)
Dill-potato Rice(Annita)


Ingredients

Potato-3 medium sized peeled and cut into small pieces
Basmati Rice-2 cups
Grated Coconut-1/2 cup
Ginger-1inch piece
Green chili-2 large
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
Mustard seed-1tsp
Cumin seed -1tsp
Bay leaves-3 whole
Aniseed-1/4 tsp
Cardamom-4 pods
Cinnamon-2 small sticks
Finely chopped Coriander leaves-1/2 cup
Lemon juice-1/2 lemon
Water-3 cups
Salt to taste.

Method

Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes.Grind coarsely coconut ,Ginger and green chili and keep aside,
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan add mustard and cumin seeds.,once it starts popping add bay leaves and curry leaves,and all other spices and saute for a minute.then add half of coriander leaves ,stir well.
In a separate pot heat water along with salt.Bring it to boiling point.
Add potato and rice and mix well then add the boiling water stir well and close the pan with lid and allow to cook the rice in a low flame.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
Serve this rice with plain curd or raita, pickle and pappad.

Note:
For yellow colour you can add a pinch of turmeric powder.
To make a better taste add cashew and raisins roasted in ghee.




8 comments:

Sumitha said...

My husband loves potatoes,so this recipe is on my favourite list!

Sia said...

very good entry for JFI. i am ready with my plate KF:) can i have some?

Mishmash ! said...

Ooops, that was too fast !! :)fish biriyani -kku pakaram eppo potato biriyani aanu kazhikkunnathu alle ;)) hmm...kollam :) hey one doubt, do u mix the masala u made with ground coconut and ginger etc plus the spices to the boiling potato and rice bowl?
Btw, I liked ur thumbnail gallery :)

Shn

Mrs. K said...

Wow! I have been waiting for this one. Sounds good. I add potatoes in veggie pulao sometimes, but potato rice is such a unique idea.

Seema Bhat said...

Potato rice sounds very interesting KF. Potatoes are all time available and I am gonna bookmark this and try it out.
Thanx
Seema

J said...

New look for your blog again!!:) Good entry for JFI! :)

KF said...

Thank You sumitha.

Supriya,Its for you...Thanks

Kaliyakkalle..Pavangalum Jeevichu poote...Mishmash!you have to saute that masala in the oil,then only you add rice and potatoes..Thumbnail and all gone..I have to do that again.

Thank You RP.Because of You only I made this...
Thank You Seema..Try this you will surely enjoy!

Jyothsna Thank You...Style mariyathu oru katha thanneya..Ellam Poyi enna vichariche.

Menu Today said...

Hi KF,
Potato rice looks nice. Please check for my version of potato rice. Great entry for JFI Thanks