Monday, January 28, 2008

Rava Upma

Upma Upma is very popular among South Indians. Though the recipe is very simple, the measurement of water, timing, order and the extra ingredients changes the texture and taste. I got certificate for” Most horrible Upma” from my husband several times. But that gives me an inspiration to do more experiments on that. Now I am little confident in making Upma and I tried various types of upmas using vegetables and dry fruits .This is one of the basic recipe.

Upma

Ingredients
1 cup Rava /Semolina
1 ½ cup hot water
25 gms cashew nuts
15 gms raisins (both optional)
1 inch ginger finely chopped
1 chopped onion
2 green chilies chopped
1tsp mustard seed
Few curry leaves
2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste

Method


Heat a flat pan on a medium flame and roast the rava lightly, don’t allow it to brown, once done remove it from fire and keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and roast cashew, then raisins and remove from the pan and keep aside. In the same oil, add mustard and allow to splutter. Add onion, ginger, green chilies and curry leaves and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add hotwater, and salt to taste. Bring to boil. Add the roasted rava, a little at a time, stirring constantly to avoid forming lumps. Simmer and cook till the upma is ready. Garnish with roasted cashew and raisins. Serve hot and enjoy it with some crispy pappad or boiled banana.

11 comments:

Vineetha Sush said...

When I make upmav I cook rava in milk...Used to cook it in water before but milk makes the upmav tastier for me.

KF said...

Vineetha, That's good idea,Thanks dear.

Seena said...

oh, u add cashews and raisins! hm, hm...
nalla upma, ketto..

Mrs. K said...

Hey, you shortened your name? :)
I bet you don't have enough of those certificates as much as I have! I think of upma as the simplest and easiest, but most of the times, I mess up. I like finely chopped carrots in my upma. It makes it pretty.

J said...

Forget upma, I have plenty of those certificates for many dishes!! ;)

KF said...

Seena..Pappdavum pazhavum illathe aane hubby kazhikkunne..atha ee suthrapanikal.
Rp..engane unde idea??perinu polum sthiratha illatha penne..alle??

Anonymous said...

Rava upma is one of my fav. But never tried it with raisins and cashews . Looks so yummy. Nice pic.

Mishmash ! said...

I dont make upma that often as CJJ doesnt like it much but whenever I make, i do it the same way...plus some chopped carrots for color....ethinte local peru ariyille, "salt mango tree"/uppu-mavu :P

ras said...

Thanks.. ente upma eppalum oru paruvam arikkum didn't know the water rava ratio..
,, pinne cashew ,, raisins.. umm
mmm

luv
Ammu

magpie said...

I just made this for the first time, and it was amazing. I added cardamon, fenugreek and turmeric as well as a spoonful of creme fraiche (had no yogurt) mixed with water to take some of the bit of the chilies away (I'm a bit of a wimp) but I needn't have, they weren't overwhelming.

I'd love to make this during the week as a breakfast that might help me last for hours without snacking. But he prep took me ages. Any bright ideas? I know this is breakfast so someone must have a good trick to making it quickly...

Top Cuisines said...

nice and simple upma..will try it now.. :)